Saturday, December 22, 2012

A Better Track Order for Paul Banks' Solo Album



I adored the Julian Plenti EP but I was a little put off with Paul Banks' full-length release.

I've fixed that. Here's a better reordering of tracks from both Banks and the Julian Plenti EP:

1. Young Again
2. I'll Sue You
3. Arise, Awake
4. Cavern Worship
5. The Base
6. Over My Shoulder
7. Mythsysizer
8. Summertime is Coming
9. Perimeter Deactivated
10. (hidden track) I'm a Fool to Want You

I like this ordering a lot more. A lot more.

A few "justifications"

1. Young Again - Interpol/Paul Banks always starts off with a down note. Young Again is definitely a downer. It's also the track that I go to first when I listen to Banks.
2. I'll Sue You - it hits hard. 2nd track always has to hit hard
3. Arise, Awake - backs off a little. Just like NYC in Turn on the Bright Lights
4. Cavern Worship - This is mainly as a setup to the grandness that is The Base
5. The Base - 5th track should be the showcase track of the album. The Base is grandiose.
6. Over My Shoulder - "side 2" of the LP should start off with a bang
7. Mythsysizer - Just like Cavern Worship, a leadup to the grandiose Summertime is Coming
8. Summertime is Coming - just seems like the right spot
9. Perimeter Deactivated - a fitting outro.
9a. [5-10 minute gap]
10. I"m a Fool to Want You - This one is a hard one to place, and the transition doesn't quite work in the track order for the album -- which is why it's a hidden track.

What I like about this ordering is the theme. Young Again is such a downer at the start, and it sort of embodies the sad tone of the album for me. The following track I'll Sue You is sort of the aftermath of someone feeling bitter nostalgia, since suing is what bitter people do. But I'll Sue You transitions midway through to a note of romantic longing, and ends on a note of not wanting to let go. Arise, Awake is a sort of rebirth. Cavern Worship is a very cerebral track that has this infectious energy. The Base is a blossoming. Over My Shoulder is sort of saying "it's in the past."  Mythsysizer shows off a hip groove. Summertime is Coming is sort of grand statement, though it does acknowledge the past. And Perimeter Deactivated ends the album on a very mysterious note, like the master agent is back on his feet and ready to do some more spy business.

And the new hidden track, I'm a Fool to Want You is the perfect place for Paul Bank's sense of suave humor. It also...seems better for the solo album. Interpol albums always seemed to have this cold professionalism, but a solo album should have some of the more fun rock'n'roll album features like hidden tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment