Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Proposition and how savages are portrayed

I recently watched the Proposition. It is an excellent movie well worth the time. It is in the same vein as There Will Be Blood and 3:10 to Yuma, a 19th century frontier epic.

One issue that I found myself thinking about was how to portray the "savages." The aborigines are the savages, as the movie is set in Australia. It is a tough needle to thread. Because if I'm an aborigine actor, I would feel angry at my coworker who plays the role of the captor. They portray the captors as monstrous, in a good-intentioned attempt at bringing some balance, but still, they hold more power than the aborigines at the end of the day, no matter how ugly they are. But an unrealistic portrayal is also condescending.

I wish that there could be a film shown which depicted life from the perspective of the aborigine, or of the Indian. Show their own factions in their own cultures, their prestigious places, their ugly moments, and how they deal with the outsider Europeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment